Can I Claim Vat Back When Leaving Uk

When you leave the UK and abandon your business here, there are important tax considerations that you need to take into account to avoid a nasty surprise.

UK VAT law is notoriously complex, so it’s tricky to decide who owes what. And this becomes even more complicated when your business involves importing goods from overseas territories like the European Union – but no need for a panic attack: we’re here to help! In this blog post we’ll cover all of the basics on how EU VAT works, as well as what you need to know about her Majesty’s Customs & Excise.

If you’re moving abroad for good to set up a business in another EU country, your tax affairs should be pretty straightforward. All UK VAT registered businesses are required to charge and account for VAT on their sales and imports from the second they begin doing business . Most EU countries will simply treat registered businesses as if they were domestic ones.

However, this rule doesn’t apply to the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or the Republic of Ireland (“RoI”). When you register a business in one of these places, you can opt out of registering for UK VAT with HMRC. This allows you to operate without charging VAT by default.

Although it can be a handy option for some businesses, in most cases this isn’t the best choice. Registering for UK VAT and paying the tax is generally a much better idea, as it prevents you from having to become an expert in international tax rules.

What are your obligations to HMRC when you leave the UK?

Once you leave the country, HMRC will begin to charge business taxes on goods and services imported from overseas territories – starting with those that arrive within three months of your departure date.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *