Value-Added Tax (VAT)

Updated on February 8, 2022

Value-Added Tax (VAT): How to sign up for, calculate, pay, and reclaim VAT, as well as VAT rates and rules for property tax, on this page.


Many goods and services are listed in the Value-Added Tax (VAT) rates database. You can look at them, use the A to Z links, or search for them using the search box.

There is a list of the VAT rates in the database that show what people are doing right now. Each time new information comes out, we make sure the information is up to date.

If you want to know more about the law, you should read the law.

When goods and services are taxed, the Value-Added Tax Consolidation Act of 2010 is the law that says how they are taxed.

VAT rates database

Or browse A-Z

You could then go from A to Z.
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, W, X, and Z are all the same.

How do you become a VAT member?
In ROS, you can sign up online.
In Revenue Online Service, you can register your business for Value-Added Tax (VAT) or have your tax agent register your business for you. You can do both of these things (ROS). A business in the state must use this service.

Do you need to fill out any online forms?
A business in the state should be filled out by applicants who want to start one.

TR1 is a form that people, sole traders, trusts, and partnerships use to sign up for business.
People who run businesses that aren’t owned by anyone else have to do TR2.
Is it possible to send in a paper form?
We’ll send back all paper applications that could have been filled out online. You or your tax agent should get them soon. As soon as you send in your application, it will come back with a request for you to deal with the application on the web.

A paper version of the form can be filled out by people who can’t use ROS. They can then send it to their tax office. A full list of contact information can be found on the Contact Us page of our site.

The following forms should be sent in by mail:

TR1(FT) is a form for people, sole traders, trusts, and partnerships to fill out when they start a business.
In order to register a limited company, you must fill out TR2(FT).
The form should be sent to:

There is a place in Wexford called P.O. Box 1 where you can go to register your business for taxes.

Once the tax is registered, when will it be used?
Registration for VAT comes into effect on a date that you and your local tax district have agreed on, after Revenue has approved your application and your application has been approved.

It will not start before the beginning of the tax year in which you apply.

Any information you gave the Revenue office must be changed for them to know. You must tell them about this change in 30 days.

It’s hard to get back into VAT.
eRegistration can help you register again if your VAT registration has been canceled and you want to register for VAT again.

The first time you sign up for VAT, you’ll have to send in your tax returns and pay your money electronically. To find out how to pay and file your taxes on the Internet, look at the Mandatory efiling page.